Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Superheroes Week 2: Send Me a Postcard!


Whoooooops, looks like I only took one picture at our Wednesday morning Superhero meeting!!! Bad Amanda!

But perhaps the lack of photos speaks for the huge amount of fun we had at the library!!! This week we talked about travel and mail! So our craft for the day was to colour and decorate our very own postcards to send away to someone over the summer!


I got the template for the postcards from Miss Martha Stewart! Thanks Martha! Here's where you can get them! Martha Stewart Postcards!

Here's Keith's Postcard, front and back!




We also tried to guess how many countries there are in the world... then we tried naming them all and when that didn't work we listened to a song that would help us remember, some if not all of the countries in the world!!!

Here's the song - it's a classic, that is if you remember the Animaniacs cartoon, like me!!

 

We discussed and talked about flying on planes and travelling to foreign lands and such! I set up three maps and each kids choose a place where they've been, are going and wish to go!





We finished off by playing a memorization game revolving around what we would pack to take on our upcoming trips - imaginary or real.

Here's how you play:

Memory game: I Packed My Suitcase
(See Activity Village at www.activityvillage.co,uk/i_packed_my_suitcase.htm)
Sit in a circle
The first child chooses a word that begins with the letter ‘a’ and says, “I packed my suitcase with an apple” The next child chooses a word beginning with a ‘b’ and repeats the sentence, adding their word: “I packed my suitcase with an apple and a banana” Move through the alphabet

When a child cannot remember the list or makes a mistake, they are out!

It was lots of fun! I was very surprised by everyone's awesome memory! Although... we did end up packing a lot of animals to bring on our trip! I think there was a cat, elephant, llama and things got out of hand! WHO PACKS AN ELEPHANT WHEN GOING ON A TRIP!?!?!? .... I'm sure there's someone out there! 

Anyways we did do some reading! We read Robert Munsch's "Too Much Stuff!", one of my favourites about Temina, a girl who has a hard time packing for her trip as there are so many toys and fun things to bring!

We also two other lovely books, "Knuffle Bunny Free" and "No T. Rex in the Library" by Toni Buzzeo and illustrated by Sachiko Yoshikawa. 




No comments:

Post a Comment